Thursday, September 22, 2011

Java Chickens all accounted for!!

From Deborah Brown of High Ground Farm:  These chicks are black, white, or mottle Java. As you know, this is a very rare breed. I encourage you to read more about them on the American Livestock Breed Conservancy website. And get involved with the organization, as they are working to try to bring the Java back in numbers. These Java are out of the Garfield Museum Java Flock, which collaborated with the Museum of Agriculture and Industry in 2002. The parents of these chicks are the best of my flock of 60 Java hens.

Back in May of this year I received chicks as part of an ongoing Java Project.  Unfortunately due to a family illness in Deborah's immediate family I was given the opportunity to purchase the 10 "chosen birds" out of her flock and I jumped on it!  My flock now consists of 23 Java hens and roosters, namely, 4 white hens, 1 mottled hen, 3 black roosters, and all the rest are black hens.  Exceptional quality birds.  I will be incubating all eggs that come from the flock as soon as I get my first egg.  There will be an adjustment period for the flock that came over as adults and the younger ones have a little bit longer to go.  So I am hoping for a mild winter to get some egg production going!  This chickens are excellent foragers, great for a small homestead/farmstead.  Exceptional disposition.  Big nice heavy birds, beautiful feathering, magnificent specimens. 

I will be joining several organizations associated with the conservancy and breed.
I am so excited to have these birds and feel so compelled to bring back the breed, I cannot say enough how beautiful these specimens are and I hope to be one part of this vital fight to bring back the Java Chicken.  I will be posting more information as I find it.  New websites to follow regarding Agricultural General Store of North Carolina, etc.  So stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment